Day 16 of the Daniel Fast, You Are What You Eat!!! I Can’t emphasize it enough that in order for you to feel better Spirit, Soul, and Body You MUST change the way you eat!!! It’s impossible to make any lasting change until you change what your putting into your body on a daily basis. This is just a simple School House Rock video I remember watching as a kid but it stuck with me all these years later because in 59 seconds they let you know the importance of giving your body what it needs.
FOOD=LIFE or in some cases FOOD=DEATH. Depending on what your eating you will either be adding years to your life or taking them away. Nobody would purposely subtract years from their life, but when you indulge in “JUNK FOOD”, that’s exactly what you’re doing. The term junk food used to be associated with fast food such as burgers, hot dogs, fries, soda, chips etc., but nowadays that term can include anything that you buy from your grocery store because of the harmful chemicals that they are pumping into the foods. Take High Fructose Corn Syrup for example. This unnaturally made form of sugar can be found in most items that we buy and eat on a daily basis. It should come with a warning label like cigarettes do because, it’s killing you. Based on an article written by Dr. Mark Hyman, he states and I quote, “High doses of free fructose have been proven to literally punch holes in the intestinal lining allowing nasty byproducts of toxic gut bacteria and partially digested food proteins to enter your blood stream and trigger the inflammation that we know is at the root of obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, dementia, and accelerated aging.” Do you understand how scary that is??? They are creating food-like-substances and passing them off as real food. Be aware, read your labels, and do your research.
There are several ways to help avoid these foods that are chemically enhanced and nutritionally deficient.
1. Read the PLU labels. If the five digit PLU number starts with “8,” the food is either genetically modified or genetically engineered. If the five digit PLU number starts with “9,” it’s organic.
2. Shop at natural food stores. Shopping at a natural or organic food store does not eliminate the possibility of purchasing genetically modified food, although it does increase the possibility of having a wider variety of non-genetically modified fruits and vegetables.
3. Buy foods labeled “100% certified organic.” Laws in both the U.S. and Canada do not allow food labels that say “100% certified organic” to contain any genetically engineered food, including animals that have been fed genetically modified feed. Be aware, however, that if the food is simply labeled “organic” it can still contain genetically modified ingredients up to 30%.
4. Look for the labels “non-GM” or “GMO-free.” These can be hard to find, but if you are able to support manufacturers that produce foods that are not genetically engineered you encourage other manufacturers to follow their lead.
5. Buy whole, fresh foods rather than processed ones. Foods that you cook and prepare yourself are almost always healthier than anything you can buy ready-made. Cooking healthy food doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming.There are many simple but delicious and healthy meals that you can prepare in less than 30 minutes that do not involve any genetically modified food.
6. Avoid aspartame as a sweetener. The sweetener used in many products such as NutraSweet and Equal, Aspartame is derived from genetically modified microorganisms.
- Corn: The ingredient derived from corn that is hardest to avoid is high fructose corn syrup. A huge percentage of processed foods and baked goods contains it, not to mention soda. Any food with a label saying there is corn of any kind in it should be avoided unless it states it is 100% certified organic.
- Soybeans: Products made from soybeans include soy flour, soy isolates, soy lecithin, soy protein and isoflavones. Be sure that soy based products such as tofu, soy milk, edamame and such have a label stating it is 100% certified organic to be sure it isn’t genetically modified.
- Canola or Rapeseed: Made from one of two cultivars of the rapeseed plant, canola oil almost certainly is derived from genetically engineered crops, unless you are located in the EU, where no genetically modified crops of rapeseed are yet grown. You find it used mostly as cooking oil and in margarine. Olive oil is a better choice.
Last but not least try to shop the perimeter of your grocery store. I mentioned this in an earlier post but I feel the need to say it again. The fresh produce section, the meat and seafood departments, and the dairy case are all located around the perimeter of the store. Try to concentrate most of your shopping time in this general area and see how many great items you can find before drifting into the middle of the grocery store, “The Aisles Are Not Our Friends LOL”.
Now I know that this is a lot of shocking info to take in , but if you want to preserve your quality of life and live to a ripe old age then You MUST become Aware!!! KEEP GOING!!! Be Well.